Shredded BBQ Tofu For EARTH DAY 2010 - 550 vegan lunches served!!!

2010 is the third year for doing FREE vegan food at our local EARTH DAY celebration with Animal Outreach Kansas.  Animal Outreach Kansas (AOK) is the organizing group that coordinates our monthly vegan potlucks, works on local animal issues, and works on statewide campaigns too!!
Earth Day has been a great way for us to reach a large group.  While people are waiting for food we have information for them to look at and they can ask questions.  We have quite few families and students who seem to be interested in Veganism and this is an opportunity to provide them with an open door of hospitality.

We received donations for the following:
The Veg Fund (for food purchases)
Central Soy Foods
Wheatfield's Bakery
Atomic Bakery
The Merc
Hallmark cards (Valentines Day bags, and Hannah Montana cups and napkins)
Members of our potluck group brought, cookies, coleslaw, potato salad, pasta salad, and gluten free side dishes.
In previous years we have done grilled slabs of tofu, with the cut freeze then squeeze method, which was kind of hard and was slow.
This year I volunteered this year to make shredded baked tofu with BBQ. I did the random baked tofu method (recipe link) to cook the tofu, then made grilled sweet onions. When baking I seasoned with salt, pepper, and paprika, then finished with a custom BBQ sauce.

BBQ sauce recipe: (not for the 5 gallons required for 45 pounds of tofu)
2 small cans tomato paste
4 teeth of garlic minced
2 tablespoons of black pepper
1/2 cup agave nectar (or vegan sugar)
1 tablespoon liquid smoke
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 tablespoons of hot sauce (Tabasco, Thai, chipotle, whatever)
2 cups of water (stir in until it reaches desired consistency)
Salt to taste


It is interesting that most people chose Bocas or Not-Dogs over the BBQ Tofu, which to me showed that people are generally more comfortable with things that seem familiar.  This is why the transitional Vegan foods are so important. I did challenge the skeptics with the BBQ tofu, and even though they had chosen the a Boca or a Not Dog, I asked them to try the tofu and let me know what they thought.  I had quite a bit of feedback that indicated that they very much enjoyed the tofu.
I love this tofu method, like I have said before it is the only method that I have found that can hold up to tomato based sauces and retain its texture.
THANK YOU TO CENTRAL SOY FOR DONATING 45 POUNDS OF THE BEST TOFU IN THE WORLD!!!!!


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Victoria said...

For the record, your bbq tofu was AMAZING! I grabbed the hot dogs for the girls b/c I knew they were available and I was in a hurry. I am so glad that you "forced" me to take some tofu too. It was awesome and I scraped my plate clean. Thank you!

miss v said...

it cracks me up when non-vegs say they hate tofu... usually they've just never had it prepared correctly! i use it all the time in pot luck dishes (as creamy sauces, in mixed dishes) and they always compliment me and say how good it is... but later they tell me they hate tofu!

Jessica said...

What a great event! I love the idea of reaching out to others about veganism. If they don't "get" the compassion side of it, most will definitely "get" the health side of it! Awesome job!

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

This is so awesome! Yay activism!

Related Posts with Thumbnails