Cold to the bone!!!!! Minestrone time!!!!

"Minestrone (Italian: minestra (soup) + -one (augmentative suffix) is the name for a variety of thick Italian soups made with vegetables, often with the addition of pasta or rice. Common ingredients include beans, onions, celery, carrots, stock, and tomatoes."..... Wikipedia

I have always really liked minestrone because there no right or wrong. You can add whatever you have that is fresh, canned , frozen or dried! I prefer the base to be tomato, but it does not have to be that way.

I had a pretty big variety of fresh veggies that needed to be used so this is what we had:
  • 4 Potatoes
  • 2 Carrots
  • 1/2 Onion
  • 1/2 Small Cauliflower
  • 1lb Fresh Green Beans
  • 4 Teeth Garlic
  • 1 Large Can of tomatoes(half processed, half left chunky)
  • 1/2 lb Elbow Macaroni
  • Better than bullion, no chic broth(to taste)
  • Fresh oregano, salt, pepper, and some green onion to garnish.
  1. Make 6 cups broth, add 1/2 can tomato pureed and spices, bring to boil.
  2. Add potato, cauliflower, onion, and pasta.
  3. Add green beans when other veggies are al dente, turn off heat and serve.

Everyone ate their soup, although Nikki and Addison were not totally psyched about the tomato base. I do have to say that I am very excited that Carter ate a good sized portion. He used to get the gag reflex if you even said soup. Not sure if it was the pasta or the tomato base, I did not ask any probing questions.

You may get the impression from my posts that I am not doing kid friendly food..... my philosophy has been to keep trying to get the kids to try new things. For the most part they eat what I am inclined to cook, if they really do not like it I usually have a plan "B". There are many meals that have a basic component that Nikki and I add more adventurous toppings.

Carter is working on eating his soup, he's not wearing a big smile, but he did eat and enjoyed!!!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails