Beating the cold with Green Curry Tofu

Green Curry tofu is one our family favorites, but I am afraid of making it too often because the coconut milk has so much fat. I try to use the lite coconut milk and limit the amount used. I have to admit that the lite coconut milk is not the same and by the time I lighten everything up the curry is just not thick enough, but the flavor was good.
Many years ago I was the chef at a Brazilian restaurant in Denver and about 75% of all of our dishes had coconut milk. The best brand of coconut milk from my experience is Chaokoh brand.
Whenever using coconut milk it is important the shake the can vigorously before opening, this mixes the contents, otherwise it will be good and lumpy. One of the other things I like about using coconut milk is that it can take heat well, and reduces to a nice thick consistency. It works well as a replacement for heavy cream. I plan on veganizing some old South American favorites throughout the spring, once we have dropped a few of the holiday pounds we have collected!!!
This curry took about 25 minutes:
  • I had leftover white sushi rice
  • 1 lb of tofu nigari, cut 1/2 thick, brushed with oil, garlic and onion powder, broiled in toaster oven until browned, then cut in triangles, lazy but tasty!!!!
  • 1 can Thai Kitchen lite coconut milk, 6 cups lite no chic broth, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon Thai Kitchen green curry paste(I love that Thai Kitchen labels their vegan items!!!!)
  • 1/2 head cauliflower
  • 1/2 lb broccoli
  • 1/2 lb fresh green beans
  • Home pickled jalapenos for heat!!!! (sliced jalapenos it a jar with white vinagar)
  • Chopped cilantro for the top
This made a big enough batch so that Nikki and I could each have a bowl for lunch the next day!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails