Many years ago I was the chef at a Brazilian restaurant in Denver and about 75% of all of our dishes had coconut milk. The best brand of coconut milk from my experience is Chaokoh brand.
Whenever using coconut milk it is important the shake the can vigorously before opening, this mixes the contents, otherwise it will be good and lumpy. One of the other things I like about using coconut milk is that it can take heat well, and reduces to a nice thick consistency. It works well as a replacement for heavy cream. I plan on veganizing some old South American favorites throughout the spring, once we have dropped a few of the holiday pounds we have collected!!!
This curry took about 25 minutes:
- I had leftover white sushi rice
- 1 lb of tofu nigari, cut 1/2 thick, brushed with oil, garlic and onion powder, broiled in toaster oven until browned, then cut in triangles, lazy but tasty!!!!
- 1 can Thai Kitchen lite coconut milk, 6 cups lite no chic broth, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 teaspoon Thai Kitchen green curry paste(I love that Thai Kitchen labels their vegan items!!!!)
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 1/2 lb broccoli
- 1/2 lb fresh green beans
- Home pickled jalapenos for heat!!!! (sliced jalapenos it a jar with white vinagar)
- Chopped cilantro for the top