Traditionally this is a seafood dish, but it is better without it... in my opinion. This is a rich, herbed, tomato, coconut milk broth that I learned how to make from a good friend from Colombia, back when I was the chef at Cafe' Brazil in Denver in the mid 1990's.
Since it is wintertime and fresh tomatoes are not any good, I did cut a couple of corners, but I added kale which was a nice addition.
Here is what I did:
- 1 white onion, halved then sliced thin
- 3 teeth of garlic, minced
- 1 table spoon oil
Add the following and simmer for about 10 minutes:
- 1 can mild red enchilada sauce (or two cups diced tomatoes)
- 1 can lite coconut milk
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon no chic Better Than Bullion
- 3 tablespoons of smoked paprika
Enjoy!!!! And think warm thoughts!!!