Lentil Soup



This morning I pulled a bag of lentils out of the cabinet and set them out because I wanted to make lentil soup. I have never made lentil soup and I thought it was a good idea because lentils cook in 20 to 30 minutes. I also had a couple of sweet potatoes that needed to be used up so I thought I would roast those and put them on top.
I figured this would be quick and easy.... pop the potatoes in the oven, cook the lentil soup and we would be eating in 30 minutes.
I cubed the potatoes, seasoned them with cinnamon, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.. and slammed them in the oven.  Meanwhile the lentils were coming to a boil.... Seasoned them with a couple of bullion cubes, salt pepper, lime juice. I sautéed some baby carrots, garlic and onions a few minutes to soften. After that was done I pureed the veggies in the vita mix, and added them to the soup.
In the dream scenario the lentils would have been tender and ready to blend, because they had cooked for 35 minutes, but they were still tough.... ten more minutes... fifteen more minutes....starting to question the liar who wrote the instructions on the lentil bag. The lentils took about an hour to cook, so much for quick!!!
Put the lentils in the vita mix and in about 15 seconds I had what resembled sickly colored mashed potatoes......!@#$. Keep your cool!!!!  Once I added 8 cups of water it was closer to the right consistency, and it tasted good.
I topped with roasted sweet potatoes, green onions and jalapeños and it tasted great!

The sweet potatoes are one of my favorites savory, salty and sweet. Some pumpkin seeds would have been a nice addition too.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails