Baked Potatoes....


Some times our vegan culinary adventure is..... well....
Basic and perhaps.... boring!!!!
Last night was baked potato night. The store had some really nice looking, big potatoes that called to me last week. I like to have a couple on hand and use them before they start growing.
I spend my elementary school days living in rural southeastern Idaho.... so I know a good potato when I see one!!! The key thing to look for in a potato is whether there is any green under the skin, if you make a small scratch and you see green.... put the potato down and walk away. The green means the potato has seen too much light and has begun to think about growing... green equals bitter, even if you cut the green away. Also potatoes should smell like dirt!!!!
These potatoes were light and grainy meaning they were harvested this fall, some potatoes can be almost a year old by the time they make it to the store. This is especially true in the summer months, that's when you definitely want to buy local.
These potatoes baked for 45 minutes at 400 degrees, I like the skins crispy if possible.
We topped with:

  • Cheese sauce, leftover from Mac-N-Cheese earlier in the week
  • Tofutti sour cream(non transfat formula)
  • Baco Bits
  • Corn, peas, and edamame
  • Margarine
  • Brown gravy, with Morningstar Farms Crumbles(which tasted much better than it looks in the pictures below!!!!)
Everyone made a happy plate(all clean!!), even Carter. This is always a good reminder that simple basic food can be the most enjoyable meals. I also reminds me that I do not have to push the VEGAN envelope with every meal.


Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails