Lentil Soup with Sweet Potatoes


I am always amazed how in sync Nikki and I are, she did not know what I had in mind for dinner and suggested a lentil and sweet potato soup recipe she had found this afternoon. This morning I pulled a bag of lentils out of the cabinet and set them out because I wanted to make lentil soup. I have never made lentil soup and I thought it good idea because lentils cook in 20 to 30 minutes. I also had a couple of sweet potatoes that needed to be used up so I thought I would roast those and put them on top.
I figured this would be quick and easy.... pop the potatoes in the oven, go get Carter from school the potatoes would be done when we got home... cook the lentil soup and we would be eating by 5:30 Wham Bam Thank You Man!!!!
I got a work call right as I was starting on the potatoes so I did not get them in the oven before I had go get Carter. I rushed home finished, up cutting the potatoes, seasoned them with cinnamon, cumin, garlic, salt and pepper.. and slammed them in the oven!!!!!
Meanwhile the lentils were coming to a boil.... Seasoned them with a couple of bullion cubes, salt pepper, lime juice.
I put some baby carrots, garlic and onions in the microwave with a bit of water for a few minutes to soften. After that was done I pureed the veggies in the vita mix, and added them to the soup.
In the dream scenario the lentils would have been tender and ready to blend, because they had cooked for 35 minutes, but they were still tough.... ten more minutes... fifteen more minutes....starting to question the liar who wrote the instructions on the lentil bag. The lentils took about an hour to cook, so much for quick!!!
Then it was time to process the lentils and finish up and get the hungry family fed!!!! Put the lentils in the vita mix and in about 15 seconds I had what resembled sickly colored mashed potatoes......!@#$. Keep your cool!!!!
Once I added 8 cups of water it was closer to real thick soup/paste. The color was not right, but it tasted ok. The kids shuddered when they saw what I had created, and I was right there with them.... it is not always perfect!!!!! Addison was a trooper eating a bowl full and Carter had noodles with tomato sauce. Carter will not eat soup!!!!!! YET!!!!
Once we added the green onions and jalapenos it actually tasted pretty good.

The sweet potatoes are one of my favorites savory, salty and sweet. Some pumpkin seeds would have been a nice addition too. Next time I will cook half as many lentils in advance, and I might even use the recipe Nikki found!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails