Italian Parsley Pesto, Dreaming of Spring!!!


Pushing the envelope, or rather, emptying the fridge is an ongoing challenge. The other night I was making White Bean Cassoulet for the Vegan Potluck and I thought that pesto would be a nice garnish. Well... I did not have any basil, so looked in the veggie drawer hoping to find some kale, but there was not any. DANG.... no pesto, then I remembered that I had purchased some lovely looking Italian parsley for the rabbits (yeah... the real live rabbits that live under my daughters bed). I have never considered making a pesto with parsley, so what the heck!!!
Here's what I did:
  • 1 big bunch of Italian Parsley (cut off stems and feed to the rabbits)
  • 3 teeth of garlic
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/4 cup raw walnuts
  • 2 tablespoons of tahini
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 lemon juiced
Put it all in the vita mix/blender and blend until it looks right. The pesto actually turned out really intense in a good way, the pungency of the parsley combined with the citrus and the sharpness of the walnuts and tahini worked well.
My original intention was to pair the Pesto with the Cassoulet, but the other potluckers ate it straight up, with bread, veggies or whatever. None of the pesto came home with us, but the rabbits said I could make it again as long as they get to eat the leftover stems!!!

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful bunnies!
I love that you say garlic "teeth". I always do a double-take when I see it, but it's a great description.

Denise Norman said...

This looks yummy. It must taste very much like tabbouli, which is one of my most favorite things in the entire world!

Related Posts with Thumbnails